published in a Creative Journey (CreateSpace listing), an anthology of short stories published by Down in the Dirt Magazine (released fall 2014)
Education & Qualifications: How Important Are They? (Sasha Carson, AKA Dr Revenge)
published in A Method to the Madness: A Guide to the Super Evil (Amazon book listing), an anthology of short stories published by Five Rivers Publishing (released spring 2013)
What You Can Do to REALLY Help Your Autistic Child (4 page PDF)
self-published booklet for parents of newly-diagnosed children; free distribution on web (2008, 2009)
Changing Attitudes, Building Acceptance: A Different Kind of Autism Advocacy (4 page PDF)
published in Calgary's Child, a parenting magazine (September-October 2007 issue)
Freelance Writer & Editor
Self-Employed, Langham SK; 2009 – Present
- Hold a long-term contract with former employer, the Alberta Council of Disability Services (ACDS), providing copyediting services for the quality assurance reports produced throughout the year. This requires a thorough knowledge of the standards to which the service providers are being held, the ACDS Writing Guidelines, and grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Provide desktop publishing and copyediting services to other departments within ACDS, as well as to occasional one-time clients. This requires thorough understanding of grammar, punctuation, and spelling, as well as familiarity with style books (e.g., The Chicago Manual of Style) and the requirements of the piece being edited.
- Engage in personal writing projects, including long and short fiction, children’s books, personal essays, articles and papers on topics of current interest, and poetry and song lyrics.
Volunteer Liaison, Western Provinces
The Autism Acceptance Project (TAAProject), Calgary AB & Langham SK; 2006 – Present
- Send press releases when requested, regarding upcoming TAAProject events. This requires an understanding of how to construct a press release, as well as where to send such documents.
Municipal Liaison (Volunteer)
The Office of Letters & Light (OLL), Calgary AB & Langham SK; 2005 – Present
- Plan and run events in the local region for participants of both National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and Script Frenzy. This requires sending promotional materials to local libraries, schools, and news outlets, appearing in radio and print interviews when requested, and sending encouraging pep talks via e-mail on a weekly basis during the event month.
ACDS, Calgary AB; 2008 – 2009
- Edited standards, reports, and manuals for style, spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. Edited articles prior to publication in both internal and external newsletters. This required solid knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling rules, as well as the ACDS Writer's Guidelines.
- Wrote Request For Proposal (RFP) for new web site for ACDS, wrote articles, took meeting minutes, and wrote the additional Children’s Accreditation Standards. This required conducting research and interviews, as well as a strong understanding of spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
The Anglican Parish of Christ Church, Calgary AB 2005 – 2008
- Created announcements for the weekly notices and proofread/edited items submitted by parishioners, ensuring grammar and spelling were correct. In addition, maintained web site and e-mail communications for the church as a whole, took meeting minutes, maintained physical and electronic filing systems, and provided editing and layout services for the quarterly newsletter. These duties required a knowledge of basic proof reading and layout skills, as well as an ability to edit others' writing without changing the voice of the original author.
Teens Encounter Christ (TEC) Steering Committee, Calgary AB 2004-2005
- Wrote promotional materials and press releases. In addition, took meeting minutes and developed a communications plan. This required a knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation, as well as an understanding of how business communication should be handled.
The Chang School, Ryerson University - Distance Education; currently enrolled
CDPB 100: Publishing Overview: Trade - completed December 2013 with a grade of A
CDPB 212: Visual Skills for Publishing - completed April 2014 with a grade of A
- Courses Completed
Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, ON; 2001
- Three-Year Degree, course work completed
University of Calgary, Calgary, AB; 1998
- Four-Year Degree